Act Creation & Artistry Retreat
with Kerri Kresinski
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
March 8-15, 2020
Act Creation & Artistry Retreat is limited to 6 participants.
a WEEK in beautiful Mexico in this Act Creation & Artistry Retreat with new friends, the beach, delicious, fresh, local food, and loads of fun!
Spend a week in paradise working with world class teacher Kerri Kresinski to create and develop your aerial act. (Ground apparatuses are also welcome.)
Calling ALL Aerialists & Acrobats who are ready to make an act and explore the creative process!
Kerri Kresinski creates a safe, sacred space in which you as an aerialist can create. She has a fun, warm spirit, with a playful master of her craft. She gave me more confidence in my artistry than when I started. I literally feel that this workshop changed my life and released some artistic blocks. I discovered new ways of looking at crafting an aerial piece, but also a new way of looking at performance.
Kerri made me realize and see different ways of blending these elements; however she did it in such a way that even someone who doesn’t dance or have a theatre background can relate and enjoy. Her personality and teaching expertise made it all very natural, and enjoyable. My only wish was that the workshop was longer.
There are teachers that stick with you all your life and that you hope to cross paths with again. Kerri Kresinski is one of these people.– Sarah Webb Boston, Massachusetts 2017
This retreat is back to back with our Mixed Apparatus Skills Retreat – Aerial in Paradise. Sign up for both and save 10%.
Our focus for this retreat is Act Creation & Artistry! Spend a week diving into your true artistry and create an act. World class teacher, Kerri Kresinski, will teach you how to transform your aerial or ground skills into an act that is unique to your own personal expression. Learn how to make the same tricks look different, unpredictable, and dynamic. In our artistry classes, we will work on choreography, transitions, musicality, character, emotion, connection to your audience and your apparatus, impulse, dynamics, personal style, and refinement. There will be time each day for skill sharing and open exploration as well as beach adventures to stimulate the creative process.
We can accommodate various aerial and ground apparatuses.
This retreat is designed for people who are working towards performing (professionally or just for fun), and is targeted at aerialists and acrobats who want to be challenged outside of the typical class structure. There will be 2 classes daily. Artistry/technique will focus on style, musicality, transitions, trick molding, choreography and performance. Artistry/self-expression will focus on emotional connection, dynamics, character, and connecting with your audience, yourself and your apparatus. Other training may include flexibility, skill share, and refinement.
Leave your linear training at home, and find your artistry here.
Prerequisites for Act Creation:
- You must already have a regular training practice and a solid foundation of the basics your apparatus of choice (ground apparatuses are also welcome).
- You must choose 1 apparatus to work with for the duration of the retreat. You may be required to bring your apparatus if we do not already have one.
- You must have a handful of tricks/moves that you can execute easily without a break. They should NOT be difficult.
- You DO NOT need to be an advanced aerialist. You DO need to be able to safely and easily execute a handful of tricks/moves before you arrive and be able to move on your apparatus for 3-5 minutes easily. Basic moves are welcome as long as you can do them easily.
- You are excited to advance your technical and stylistic execution, develop transitions, musicality, and your unique, juicy approach to the movement.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to email Kerri at SweetRetreatsDR@gmail.com.
About Act Creation & Artistry
- In artistry classes, students will focus on using their skills to understand sequencing, creating new sequences, musicality, and making choreographic choices. Students will also be encouraged and guided to step away from the linear training and move into personal expression on their apparatus.
- Performance skills will include character development, theatrics, musicality, dynamics/timing,connecting with audience, and enhancing tricks with personal expression and style.
- Discover the artist in you through your work on the floor and in the air. You will learn how to move through and around your “technique” to find your personal expressive gifts.
- Learn how to create your own choreography, follow and feel music, and dance your tricks.
- You will learn how to build an effective, strong aerial act from start to finish.
Sample of daily schedule
(choose as many or few classes/activities as you like)
8-9:30am Coffee, Tea and Breakfast
10am-1pm Artistry Workshop 1
1:30-4pm Pool-time, lounging, relaxing
4-6pm Artistry Workshop 2 or open practice
6:30-7pm Beach Play and Sunset
8-10pm Artistry Workshop 3 (on days we have open practice in the afternoon)
“Kerri’s Aerial Artistry Retreat gave me more than I could’ve imagined. We worked on unique exercises that challenged our bodies, mind, and our spirit. The exercises really allowed you to enter a deeper part of yourself, one that you usually avoid facing. We used those feelings in our movements, our stories. It was so enlightening to be able to feel those things out loud. These exercises led into the creative process of choreography. It taught me how to connect with the audience, how to express myself in my movements and how to tell a story through my work.
Such an adventure, an awakening experience. Something I will hold close to me forever.
Kerri, I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of your work. You have a huge heart and a beautifully creative mind. Your process was genius. Thank you for giving me all that you did. I miss you and can’t wait to be in one of your retreats again!”
Josephine Reyes, Miami, FL 2016
Delicious and Healthy Meals
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is included on most days of the retreat. The food will be grounding, nourishing and amazing! Our meal master, “Skillet,” presents simple, healthy and delicious meals made with fresh, local ingredients. Most meals include eggs, chicken and/or fish, and vegetarian/vegan options are always available. We can accommodate most special dietary needs.
After dinner we will offer evening activities and workshops including an adventure to the Phosphorescence Lagoon. There are also plenty of local night markets and discos for you night owls.
Act Creation & Artistry Retreat will be held at the Monkey House community complex a short walk from the beach. In addition to clean and safe accommodations, there is a swimming pool, an ocean view palapa practice space, the Monkey House Gym for aerial & acrobatics training, lots of grass and hammocks for relaxing between classes, and our Monkey House Kitchen and hang out space. It is awesome! Click here for details about the rooms.
Just outside our living/training complex there are cafes, shops, and local markets to explore. The neighborhood, called La Punta, is small, quiet, and full of friendly people. Surf lessons are available in La Punta. Just a mile down the beach is Playa Zicatela where you can find bars, restaurants, discos, nightlife, and plenty of surf shops to buy Mexican trinkets, beach garb, and anything else you might need. Puerto Escondido is a safe and welcoming town. For information about weather in Puerto Escondido, click here.
For information about booking your travel to Puerto Escondido, click here.
Classes/Skills may include:
Flow of act
Space is limited. Sign up below!
About your teacher
Kerri has been performing and teaching acrobatics, yoga, dance, and aerial arts for over 15 years throughout the world. Her life’s work, as an artist and a leader, has been to develop and deepen her study of the body—physically, emotionally and spiritually. She studied dance and theater starting at age 3, and continued her studies for over 30 years. She has learned that anything is possible with patience, discipline and a positive attitude. Kerri expresses her passion and spirit through movement, and feels that the body is the gateway to the higher powers for healing, transformation and expression. She is truly a unique performer, engaging, thrilling, and moving audiences with her skills, style, and heart.
Kerri’s gift in teaching and performing is to merge the work of the artist from the inside out and from the outside in. In her eyes, there must be room for both on the creative path.
Early Bird Rates for Act Creation & Artistry Retreat
March 8-15, 2020
Click here for descriptions of each room.
Rates are listed in USD.
$500 deposit is required to secure your spot. The following early bird rates will increase by $300 after October 1, 2018.
|Room||Early Bird Price until October 1, 2019||Full Price|
|Single Occupancy w shared bathroom||$2000||$2300|
|Single Occupancy w private bathroom||$2100||$2400|
Rates refer to cost of one person’s tuition. Couples must sign up together. Prices for Act Creation & Artistry Retreat include:
- Accommodations for the duration of the retreat
- Daily meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner & treats!
- Travel between Puerto Escondido Airport and our accommodations*
- 2 Daily classes (6 hours/daily)
- Evening Activities
- 24 hour use of Swimming Pool, wi-fi, and Community Space
- End of the week Performance
March 8-15, 2020
How to Register for Act Creation & Artistry Retreat
- Fill out this Registration Form.
- Pay your tuition. Once you fill out the registration form, you will receive an email with payment information. You must pay a $500 deposit to secure your spot. Full payment is due by March 1, 2018.
- Once we confirm your reservation, you can book your travel. Click here for tips for booking your flight. Please send us your itinerary in order to secure your ground transportation.
- Get excited! This is going to be amazing!
We will do our best to accommodate all of your needs.