Pole Dance Retreat
Pole Dance Tricks, Conditioning, Dynamic Exotic/Heels Choreography
with Guest Teacher Amy Bond – Owner of SF Pole & Dance
June 29-July 6, 2019
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Pole Dance Retreat is for dance pole students at the intermediate+ level. Daily classes will be focused on Dance Pole Tricks, Technical Strength, Conditioning, Stretching, and Dynamic Exotic/Heels Choreography. We will teach fundamental skills and technique stressing how to use the body most efficiently, which conditioning exercises to do for which skills, and how to train in a way that gives you the results you want. You will get stronger, more flexible and gain technical skills. It will be super fun!
There will be 2 daily classes on this Pole Dance Retreat – Morning class will be focused on tricks, technical strength, conditioning, and stretching. Afternoon classes will be a mix of handstands, floor work, Dynamic Exotic / Heels Choreography. The rest of our time can be spent eating amazing, healthy food, swimming in the warm ocean, reading in hammocks, and breathing the tropical air. There will be time to explore local markets and beaches as well as the local night life.
Pole Dance is a fun and functional way for any person of any age/shape/size to get in shape and have fun doing it. This retreat is an intermediate+ level for students that are already able to do an inversion on the pole, feel comfortable going into the splits position (but it doesn’t have to be perfect), and can hold a handstand for 30+ seconds leaning against the wall. You should have the desire to move, play, breathe, feel, stretch, and go upside down. This is where you are invited to shine and be yourself!
Sample of daily schedule
(choose as many or few classes/activities as you like)
8-9am Coffee, Tea and Breakfast
10am-12pm – Tricks, technical strength, conditioning, and stretching
1-4pm Pool-time, relaxing (or adventures to local beaches)
5-6:30pm – Floor work, Dynamic Exotic / Heels Choreography
6:30-7:30pm Beach Play and Sunset
8-10pm Evening Activities and Relaxing
In the afternoons, we will take you to a few of our favorite beaches for swimming, snorkeling surfing, and releasing baby turtles into the sea!
Delicious and Healthy Meals
Breakfast, lunch and dinners are included on your Pole Dance Retreat. The food will be grounding, nourishing and amazing! Our meal master, “Skillet,” presents healthy and delicious meals made with fresh, local ingredients. Most meals include eggs, chicken and/or fish, and vegetarian/vegan options are always available. We can accommodate most special dietary needs. We will also take you out to a couple of our favorite restaurants for dinner to give you a taste of the town-on us.
Our Pole Dance Retreat will be held at the Monkey House community complex a short walk from the beach. In addition to clean and safe accommodations, there is a swimming pool, an ocean view palapa practice space, the Monkey House Gym for aerial & acrobatics training, lots of grass and hammocks for relaxing between classes, and our Monkey House Kitchen and hang out space. It is awesome! Click here for details about the rooms.
Just outside our complex there are cafes, shops, local markets and the beach. The neighborhood, called La Punta, is small, quiet, and full of friendly people. Just a mile down the beach is Playa Zicatela where you can find restaurants, open markets, nightlife, and plenty of surf shops to buy Mexican trinkets, beach garb, and anything else you might need. Along the coast are numerous beaches, neighborhoods, and markets to explore. Puerto Escondido is a safe and welcoming town for everyone. For information about weather in Puerto Escondido, click here.
For information about booking your travel to Puerto Escondido, click here.
Time to get Pole Sexy in Paradise!
Sign up here!
Tricks and Technical Strength
In tricks classes, we start with a cardio warmup to get the body nice and loose, move into active flexibility work for hips, hamstrings, and shoulders and then practice conditioning work.
- Inversion preparation and inversion practice
- Climbing the pole – front facing climbs to side climbs, shoulder mount climbs and more variations depending on levels
- Majority of the class spent building combinations.
- Each non-beginner class will incorporate one spin combo including 3 elements involved in moving up the pole and three elements bringing the student down the pole
- Movements include tricks such as:
- Shoulder mount flares
- Gallop climb
- Brass monkey variations
- Jade splits
- Butterfly variations and transitions in and out of butterfly
- Rockstar spin
- Flare spin
- Cupid tumble
- All classes end with time spent smoothing out transitions in the combinations and dancing and characterizing our combos and a cool down.
Dynamic Exotic / Heels Choreography
Dynamic Exotic is a dynamic, gymnastic type of heels dance. Many of the movements require ballistic throws and spins and the ability to squeeze the butt to move legs through a long range of internal and external rotation as well as keep the hips pushed forward. Heels Choreography is quite different, focusing on the fluidity and grace of sensual movement – think leg waves, body rolls, hair tosses and booty bouncing. For both styles of choreography, students should bring Pleaser heels, and kneepads.
Skills may include but are not limited to:
- Base of pole handstand work
- Leg sweeping / weaving / threading
- Hair tossing
- Kips – shoulder mount kips, handstand kips, floor kips
- Assisted falls
- Body throws
- Drop splits
- Fish flops
Bring your partner, parents, or best buddy!
On this Pole Dance Retreat, we have something for everyone. Dance Pole nerds can indulge in all of your pole desires while friends and family can enjoy the retreat environment, delicious, healthy food, surfing, swimming, relaxing, and get into their bodies. Ask us about significant other rates.
About our Teacher
Amy Bond is the owner and founder of San Francisco Pole & Dance, the Bay Area’s largest pole dance studio. She started pole dancing in 2012 when she began law school and has since competed in 14 competitions, including:
— 2018 Golden Gate Pole Championship (Women’s Pro Division, 2nd Place)
—2017 Pole Theatre USA (Women’s Pro Comedy Division)
–2017 Golden Gate Pole Championship (Women’s Pro Division, 4th Place)
—2016 Pole Theatre USA (Women’s Semi-Pro Comedy Division, 1st Place)
Amy is passionate about pole dancing as an artistic sport and as a tool to help people understand and appreciate their own bodie’s strength, sensuality and power. While Amy is a full time pole dance entrepreneur, she is also a part time writer and lawyer, working as a legal consultant with tech startups. Her latest project is Oakland Pole and Dance, Oakland’s first pole and aerial studio, opening in November, 2018. You can read more about Amy at https://www.amybonddancesinthesky.com/
Classes/ Activities may include:
Strength & Flexibility Training
Dynamic Exotic / Heels Choreography
Prices for Pole Dance Retreat
Prices are listed in USD.
The following early bird rates will increase by $300/person on March 1, 2019.***
– Double/Triple Occupancy $1800
– Single Occupancy w shared bathroom $2000
– Single Occupancy w private bathroom $2100
Rates refer to cost of one person’s tuition.
Couples must sign up together.
Price of Dance Dance Retreat include:
- Ground transportation to/from the Puerto Escondido Airport (PXM) to our accommodations**
- Accommodations for 7 nights
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in our Monkey House Kitchen
- Dinner out at our favorite local restaurant
- 2 daily classes
- Beach Photo Shoot
- Informal show at the end of the week
- Use of Swimming Pool, wi-fi, Hammocks, and Fitness/Yoga/Aerial Studio, boogie boards, snorkels and flippers.
- Afternoon adventures to local beaches
- Trip to the night market.
- Tour of our organic garden w Farmer Stu
- Impromptu dance parties, pool parties, sunset cocktails (21+), and hanging out with new friends.
- Homemade chocolates, popsicles, and other treats
Deals and Discounts
- Book early and pay in full before February 1, 2019 and save! Prices go up after Feb 1!
- Bring a friend (share a room) and save $100 with our referral discount.****
- Bring your significant other. Ask about our SO policy.
Email SweetRetreatsdr@gmail.com for more information.
How to Register for this Pole Dance Retreat
- Fill out this Registration Form.
- Pay your tuition. Once you fill out the registration form, you will receive an email with payment information. You must pay a $500 deposit to secure your spot. Full payment is due by June 1, 2019.
- Do not book travel yet. Once we confirm your registration, we will send you information about booking travel. For tips about traveling to Casa Chango, click here.
- Get excited! This is going to be amazing!
We will do our best to accommodate all of your needs. Feel free to email us at SweetRetreatsDR@gmail.com with any questions.